So I Howled at the Moon One More Time.
The first and only time I saw Johnny Cash sing in person was at the MichiganFest in 1995. I hadn't been feeling well that summer. Johnny and June and crew sang on a Wednesday night, a balmy August night with the almost full moon rising as they took the stage. (Remember, this is farm country, and you can see those big old moons cross the horizon.)
Johnny talked about the moon, about how it made him feel like howling, and sure enough, within minutes the crowd of 30,000 was howling together at the rising orb.
I felt better after that concert.
Tonight, as I was returning home from the mall, I spotted the moon rising in my rearview mirror. As I turned south, I watched it emerge over the trees. I couldn't help it. I howled.
Thanks, Johnny. Thanks, June. Bet you're having a grand old time tonight!